Western is an exceptional school with exceptional children
We were designated as the first outstanding school in North Tyneside under the new Ofsted framework in February 2012 and I hope you will take the time to read through our Ofsted report. Teaching is outstanding and we are privileged to have a fantastic team of professionals with a passion for making a difference to children's lives who enjoy working as part of a team and thrive on sharing and exploring new practice.
Out of Hours Childcare Provision at Western
The school hosts Shining Stars Childcare Provider on site. They are able to provide wraparound childcare for children during term time and fulltime care during holiday periods. Opening hours are from 7:30am to 6pm. Further information on charges for childcare can be obtained direct from Shining Stars by calling at the school office.
Disability access at Western
Western Community Primary School is highly committed to providing equal access to all. If you have any specific requirements, please don't hesitate to contact us to discuss how we can support you.
We have high expectations of all staff, and this includes our trainees
You need to have the highest expectations of yourself with an ambitious determination become an outstanding teacher in the future. We can promise you limitless support, the chance to learn from other outstanding professionals and the excitement of working in an environment where we strive for the very best for all children.
What can Western offer you as an alternative to a traditional route through a university-based PGCE?
We can promise you:
- An outstanding school with a team of outstanding teachers ranging from newly qualified practitioners to highly experienced leaders.
- A sustained and highly personalised PGCE programme, devised by a team of outstanding teachers and leaders, which will allow trainees to fully immerse themselves in the life of school and make a valuable contribution to Western Community Primary School.
- A professional learning community where every single member of staff has a desire to continually reflect on, improve and evaluate their performance and where sharing practice is integral to daily life in school.
- An outstanding early years, which was recently used by HMI in an Ofsted video to highlight best practice in the early years.
- A vibrant, welcoming community with longstanding experience in supporting and developing trainee teachers.
- A highly creative curriculum which engages and enthuses children and promotes a fascination for learning.
- Almost 500 children with a huge appetite for learning and outstanding behaviour and attitudes.
- Parents and carers with high expectations and a willingness to support school in a strong partnership for learning.
- A purpose built, PFI school on an extensive site on the borders of Newcastle and North Tyneside. Facilities include an art room with kiln, specialist gym with changing facilities, ICT suite, iPad trolleys, music room, multi-use games area and vast school fields with trim trail, internal and external amphitheatres, a recently extended outdoor learning area in Foundation Stage including a tree house, workshop, forest, water feature , boat and a mud kitchen!
- A strong partnership with six effective North Tyneside schools, carefully chosen to provide a range of school-based experiences to prepare PGCE students for an outstanding career in teaching.
- A partnership with an outstanding University to quality assure and accredit the school-direct PGCE experience.
- A protected study day each week until all assignments are handed in.
- The highest quality weekly training and support led by school leaders at Western and at our partnership schools.